Wednesday, October 29, 2008

In Memory of Uncle Morrie

To Morris Winacoff

Uncle Morrie-I will miss the kind gentle man I knew all my life; birthdays, holidays, glad time and sad times. ALWAYS!

He had fought in Italy during WWII and at some point married my Aunt Lenore. Uncle Morrie doted on her...She died from a heart attack in 1977 at the ripe old age of 49.

Then, he married Mary, a lovely little lady, widowed, too. We all knew her because she and her first huband (another good man) were friends with Lenore and Morrie...Mary was totally absorbed into the family.

Mary doted on Morrie and vice versa. For the last 31 years they both tended and loved one another, in sickness and in health, a wonderful marriage. During that time, Morrie discovered more family, reunited with his progeny and was incorporated into his own family, their life moments too.

So, when my late mom's twin called to tell me her late (Oldest) sister, Lenore, ...Well, anyway, Uncle Morrie had passed away. He had had a form of Leukemia which seemed to progress slowly. The last few years had him in the hospital several times, not including the prostate cancer, with chemo and radiation, etc. This year, in and out of the hospital and a lot of transfusions.

Never once, did I ever see Uncle Morrie raise his hand or his voice, get angry, or say anything cruel or mean to another human being. I thank him for being an important part of my life, a dear gentle man, a role model of how to be a patient and kind soul.

I will think of you often, dear man.

1 comment:

Neuronymous said...

I think my heart just cried a little bit. That was beautiful. He WAS a lovely man. Such wonderful and moving words are the perfect tribute. Love you! :o)